Monday, April 14, 2014

Another Great Week!

Another great week above the arctic circle! I think Tuesday was my first day up here that it did not snow. It's actually starting to warm up now and the snow is beginning to melt quickly. We were in Oslo on Thursday for a leadership meeting. I went on splits the whole day with another Elder in Oslo and we pretty much street kontakted for 5 hours straight. I learned that people in Oslo are much busier and much less willing to talk than the people up here in Tromsø. The Norwegian, though, was much easier to understand.
 
We spent quite a bit of time banking on doors again this week. We've been trying a lot of different techniques and using a lot of the different resources we have such as the restoration DVD, the Proclamation to the Family, and several other pamphlets. I've gotten A LOT more comfortable with banking. I've also gotten more comfortable with talking to everyone that I can. We ride the bus a lot and I really try to use this time to start up conversations with people. It helps me with Norwegian and sometimes turns into an opportunity to share the gospel. It's priceless to see the look on their faces when you tell them you have only been in the land for 3 weeks. 

On Wednesday the Senior couple arrived, Elder and Sister Crabtree from Clinton, Utah. They are awesome. I think President is throwing everything he has at Tromsø. We've got a lot of lessons lined up this week and a bunch of call backs for after Påske (easter).We're hoping to have a solid teaching pool in the next couple weeks, hopefully with some families. 

With Påske coming up I've been thinking a lot lately about our Savior, Jesus Christ. I loved elder Bednar's talk conference about the strengthening power of the atonement. I've been thinking a lot about the scripture in Mosiah 24 that talks about how through Christ we can have the strength to carry our burdens. Fast Sunday reminded me how weak I am alone. Relying solely on yourself limits you so much. Relying on Christ takes away all limits.

I love and miss you all! Good luck with finals Erik! 

Love,
Eldste Parkinson
We've spent a lot of time banking in this neighborhood. Loaded with families. We hike a couple kilometers on the cross country ski trail to get there!