Monday, March 3, 2014

Week 4?

It's been a good week. The zone hasn't changed since I last wrote, which is probably the first time that has happened. The 3 Danes all got their flight plans this past Friday and will leave Monday for Denmark. I get my flight plans this Friday! Mom, thanks for the note about the Visa! I had been worrying a little bit about whether or not it would come. Although, I'm not going to rest assured until I actually have it in my hands.

It seems like everybody at the MTC has been getting sick. One of my teachers was unable to work his shifts twice this week, so I had a lot of extra time just studying on my own. Luckily, I've been fine. I just drink like three glasses of OJ every morning at breakfast and that's worked so far.

I hosted new missionaries this week which was cool. There were a couple sisters that I hosted who were balling out waterfalls and then there was an elder who had come in a suburban with about 15 relatives who all dropped him off. It makes you realize how big of a deal it is to drop off your kid for two years. I was actually talking to an elder from Samoa and he told me that when he left his dad promised not to send him any money or anything. In return this elder promised that he wouldn't write home to his family during his two years of service. All so that he could fully dedicate his service to the Lord and have no distractions. Yes, mom, I'll keep emailing. Haha but it was pretty humbling to hear that. 

I've been thinking a lot this week about how I can make the gospel relevant to ALL people, especially people that already have good lives. Everyone in Norway is pretty well off and doesn't really see a need for religion. I feel like I'm kind of still searching for an answer, but I've learned a lot this week about how important the message of the Atonement is. I've enjoyed reading in Alma 7 about how Christ knows exactly how to help and succor us. 

I was bummed to hear Boise lost to Timberline. I felt sure that this was the year. Oh well, my mission has definitely taught me that there are more important things in life than basketball. It's weird how all the things you think you will miss when you leave quickly become irrelevant. Oh, and our Branch President told us about the Ukraine situation yesterday.  We had no idea. It's crazy to think how Emily was just there a few months ago.

Ha det!
Love, 
Eldste Parkinson

And happy Birthday Mom! I hope it's a good one!