Monday, January 11, 2016

He shall direct they paths

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him and he shall direct thy paths" (Proverbs 3:5-6).

As I was reflecting on this last week that is the scripture that came into my mind. I felt like we were directed throughout the week to be where we needed to be and find and teach those that needed us. A lot of spiritual experiences. 

Wednesday we were out having a street stand in the baltic cold temps. Lots of good gospel conversations. Sometimes street contacting is a little like american football: you have to take the right angle in order to get the tackle. I saw this guy off in the distance and took my angle at a pretty brisk speed walk. I didn't make the tackle, but I yelled out ahead of me anyways and started talking to him. Get this: turns out he was baptized into the church back in Freetown, Sierra Leone!! He hasn't had contact with the church really in Norway and I couldn't find his name on the list when I checked later.We started speaking krio and talking about fufu and he was the coolest guy! Got his number so we'll see what happens, but I felt the Lord direct my path.

My man B. from Swaziland got back from vacation on New Years and we've started teaching him again. On Friday we experienced the most ideal setting for a member present teach. We took B. with us over to a members home (the one that served his mission in Swaziland) and ate some african food and had an awesome teach. B. is really progressing and keeping his commitments which is so cool to see. We asked Bheki if he believed Joseph Smith was a prophet and after a period of silence he said a resounding "YES." The highlight of it all was watching the member bear his testimony and share his conversion story and seeing the fascination on Bs face. 

Remember that refugee dinner I told you about back before Christmas?? That was a huge mission highlight for me. I met a lot of cool people that night and there was one kid that I felt a special bond with. A 19 year old from Ethiopia. A week later, I got off the bybane and was walking along the side of it with the other missionaries and I saw him! I jumped back on with Elder O. and talked to and laughed with him for a stop before we got off again. Several days later we were headed to a 11 am appointment with a less active and he was waiting at the bybane stop. I talked to him again the whole ride and this time was able to start sharing a bit of the gospel with him and give him a pamphlet. Funny thing was that the less-active sent a message and canceled the appointments as we were on the bybane, so we turned around and headed back. Yesterday, we were able to meet up with him in our teaching apartment downtown and it went great. Really prepared kid with such a great spirit about him. 

Tons of other awesome experiences this week. We went back to that "promised land" banking area and got in with a family. We taught a first and were about to leave and walked downstairs to a table set with places for both of us to eat dinner with them! We taught Mats quite a few times this week and he's been doing awesome. He's living with his girlfriend so we're trying to help him get married! 

I want to give a shout out and thank you for the Christmas package you sent. To be honest, I kind of laughed when I saw the hand warmers because it was so warm at that time I didn't think I'd ever use them. To my surprise, though, the temps dropped well below zero this past week and it's been FREEZING. So I've been using those hand warmers in my shoes and gloves. The heating in our apartment consists of one space heater so we've been very grateful for our dynas (big comforter blanket) this week and have been studying with winter coats and gloves.

I'm grateful for the direction and meaning my life has when I follow God's commandments and seek to receive the Holy Ghost in my life on a daily basis.I'm grateful for the confirmations God gives us when we are on the right path and the patience that He for us when we stumble, diverge, or get lost. I know who I am, I know God's plan, I'll follow Him in faith :) 

Thanks for the love! I feel it! Have a blessed week !

love,
Eldste Parkinson


B., M., and Elder Osguthorpe. Notice the lack of eating utensils :)

Bergen Hike

Bergen Hike