Monday, May 11, 2015

Long time no see!

Happy Mothers day! It was great to see all of you on skype yesterday!! It is crazy how much has happened since last mothers day when I skyped up in Tromsø. Everybody is taller!

As I mentioned yesterday, we had moves Call and I was shocked by the news that I will be leaving Drammen after just one transfer. To be honest, I was pretty bummed at first because of how much I was enjoying the work here and for the awesome people that we have been able to work with. But, I was quickly reminded about the importance of going where you are called and trusting in the Lord! I will be living in Sandvika and serving as an assistant to President Evans during his last transfer as the Mission President. It will be an excellent opportunity to learn and serve during the big transition that the mission will be having. I will be serving with another awesome missionary named Elder Duncan!

For some reason I'm having a really hard to remember things that happened this week. It is all a blur. We were able to bring some youth out on teaches this week, which was a way cool experience. It was funny because with all the appointments we took them to we were either kebabed (the missionary term for when the investigator doesn't show) or had very poor/difficult lessons. I learned,though, that the most important thing is that we were out with them and helping them to feel like missionaries while building relationships with us as more than just a tall American with a name tag. Getting the youth on missions is the most sure way to help the church here in Norway to grow. It really made me grateful for all the positive influences I've had in my life that helped me get on a mission.

We spent a lot of time this week in members homes. We really tried to apply the Bednar principle of "being agents and not objects" by inviting members to make their own commitments and a family mission plan. For some reason all these visits made me think about the importance of a home. I think I mentioned a few weeks ago about the difference between a home and a house. It is so cool to see and feel the spirit in the homes of these members that I know comes from centering the home around the teachings of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

We started teaching an awesome family from Burma that was way stoked about the Book of Mormon, but way disappointed that we don't have it in their language. It was a hard for me see such sincere desire and to not have what they wanted! We were able to promise them that they would be able to understand the language of the spirit! I keep learning how undestanding with your heart is so much more important than understanding with your head!

The big 17th of May celebration is this Sunday! We will be going to Oslo for the parades and stuff! I will make sure to take tons of pics. 

Have a great week! 

Love,
eldste Parkinson

Companions


The Parkinson Pose

Companions Rearview
J. and family

Elder Arsnes - he goes home in June!

Good-bye Drammen!